james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Smoke Tests
Date Sat, 01 Nov 2008 09:39:52 GMT
i'm going to start taking a look at creating smoke tests for trunk.

i'm going to use the framework in IMAP that it uses for protocol-level
functional testing. it allows scripted tests to be run against
arbitrary streams. i think this will be a good basis for creating
smoke tests. for the moment, i'll factor out a library in the IMAP
product. this is unsatisfactory but we can review where the library
should end up later (we've had requests to make it more widely
available before).

i plan to add an additional target ('smoke') which unpacks a
distribution, runs some XSLT to reconfigure services to run against
high ports for testing then runs scripts for each supported service.
the aim is to establish that the packaged distributions still have
basic functionality but hopefully it should easy enough for people to
add more test scripts later. (i'd like to pick up some ideas about
james standard configuration for 3.0 but i'll do this in a separate
thread.)

- robert