james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CFP open for ApacheCon Europe 2009
Date Sat, 01 Nov 2008 20:38:51 GMT
On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 6:56 AM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Oct 23, 2008, at 11:00 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 6:36 AM, Bernd Fondermann
>> <bernd.fondermann@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> <snip />
>>
>> <snip>

>> interesting: what did you have in mind?
>
> Aside from possibly using the connection pool, transactional, and jpa
> support offered by a javaee app server,

hmmm...

am i right in thinking that creating an OpenJPA based data storage
would be the way to start?

> it seems to me that the main reason
> you'd be running james inside geronimo would be if your ee apps needed to
> send or receive mail.  It seems to me that there should be no need to go
> over tcp if both ends are running in the same jvm., delivery ought to be
> calling a method directly on the mail server.

i can see several potential enterprise use cases

1. shared data access - share data from a standard mail server in an
enterprise application. an OpenJPA based data storage layer for james
might take care of this.
2. inserting mail into spool - a JEE application wants to deliver mail
as if from SMTP or FetchPOP without the overhead and inconvenience of
using the protocol. this needs to be done asynchronously. i think that
JMS might be a useful candidate. it took me about a day to integrate
James with ActiveMQ well enough to allow messages to be delivered into
the spool by JMS.
3. direct integration with mailboxes - a JEE application might want to
put a mail directly into a mailbox for later retreval by POP3 or IMAP.
JCA?
4. triggering JEE processing from a mailet. a mail is accepted into
the spool (over FetchPOP or SMTP) and processing procedes. some mail
(for example, not SPAM for user joe) should then be passed to a JEE
application for processing. again, JMS seems like the right approach
to me. again, i had ActiveMQ integration working within a day so this
is definitely possible.

(there are probably more but that's probably enough for now)

- robert