james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [mime4j] Java 5?
Date Sun, 09 Nov 2008 16:40:42 GMT
On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 4:00 PM, Stefano Bagnara <apache@bago.org> wrote:
> Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
>> On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 11:29 AM, Markus Wiederkehr
>> <markus.wiederkehr@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Personally I like APIs where I get a List<Field> instead of a dumb
>>> List. But aside from these obvious benefits, no.
>>
>> yeh - i agree that java 5 APIs are much better
>
> I agree, too.
>
> BTW the only relationship between mime4j jvm requirement and james
> requirements are that james will require at least what mime4j requires.
> Mime4j is a library and may be used in different environment. IMHO we
> would need another poll to mime4j users to understand if they have
> problem with 1.5.

i'm not sure a poll would be effective. library users don't tend to
follow user lists as well as application users. generally, you only
know that users have a problem with a decision after you've taken and
the damage has been done.

> Another option is to use retrotranslator plugin
> (http://mojo.codehaus.org/retrotranslator-maven-plugin/).

this seems like a good solution. this would allow generics to be added
to improve the API but would retain 1.4 support for a while.

- robert