james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [server] Java 5, Spring And Phoenix
Date Mon, 10 Nov 2008 22:16:23 GMT
On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 9:23 PM, Noel J. Bergman <noel@devtech.com> wrote:
> Norman Maurer asked:

<snip>

>> What's wrong with spring ?
>
> Non-standard and unnecessary.  OSGi is the standard.

OSGi is fine for containing coursely grained services but avoiding
spring for configuration and assembly of these services is going to
make a *lot* of work.

> Danny proposes the use
> of a configuration service that injects configuration to the component to be
> configured, which would allow us to use Spring or Commons Configuration or
> anything else.

i would go further. i would really like to avoid using a service at
all for configuration and assembly. (using a service to load services
would create a nasty design knot that would be better avoided.)

OSGi would allow services to be delivered as self-assembling,
self-configuring applications linked to each other by dynamic service
references (we use dynamic proxies for these initially). the
applications would be able to use spring, commons, hand rolled, pico
etc - whatever is most convenient.

> Regardless, we'll want to go back to plain POJO interfaces.  And that's
> another reason for looking at annotations.

true

- robert