james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [crypto] Repackage?
Date Mon, 17 Nov 2008 19:27:38 GMT
On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 8:35 AM, Stefano Bagnara <apache@bago.org> wrote:
> Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
>> ATM the cryptographic mailet code is packaged into:
>>
>> * org.apache.james.security
>> (http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/mailet/crypto/trunk/src/main/java/org/apache/james/security/)
>> * org.apache.james.transport.mailets.smime
>> (http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/mailet/crypto/trunk/src/main/java/org/apache/james/transport/mailets/smime/)
>> * org.apache.james.transport.matchers.smime
>> (http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/mailet/crypto/trunk/src/main/java/org/apache/james/transport/matchers/smime/)
>>
>> i was wondering about repackaging
>>
>> basing on 'org.apache.mailet.crypto' would follow the tentative
>> convention adopted in base mailets but i'm open to suggestions
>>
>> opinions?
>
> I'm fine with repackaging, but we should remember that this will mean
> that we need many <mailetpackages>/<matcherpackages> in our config, and
> that we won't provide backward compatibility for config.xml unless we
> add some hardcoded hack or we add a compatibility layer with
> matchers/mailets in the old places.

crypto is little bit of a special case (it isn't in the 2.x code
stream and it's not packaged now under o.a.j.transport)

but i agree that this is an issue that needs discussion before standard

> I don't know anymore if we are still on a backward compatible config.xml
> or if we decided to abandon that goal.

IMHO more detail is needed about what a commitment means in detail

are we committing to:

1. maintain compatibility with 2.3 or with earlier versions of 3.0?
2. maintain compatibility with custom configurations?

- robert