james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JCR and IMAP
Date Tue, 25 Nov 2008 08:19:03 GMT
On 11/25/08, Patrick Ruhkopf <patrickruhkopf@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Being a big fan of the JCR API I'm thrilled by the idea to archive emails in
> such a repository. You could easily access, search, backup mails and most
> importantly link them with other content, attach meta data, etc.

I'm a big fan too: the document+meta-data paradigm is powerful and and
there are lots of very cool possibilities for mail once you switch to
it.

For example, I'm very interested in total information management:
aggregating communications into a single feed accessible through
mutliple protocols eg combined mail store with POP3 and Atom feeds
accessible over IMAP.

These mashups start to get really cool when you start running unified
analytics on the combined store...

> However, I still want to be able to connect to that repository with my
> favorite email client so I can read, delete, flag new mails as usual. So, I
> guess what I want is an imap server that uses JCR.

Yeh - this is one of my aims too

> Searching through the mailinglist I figure JAMES 3 is going to support both
> IMAP and JCR. Yah! But..
>
> It seems like it's currently an either or choice, isn't it? You either
> specify JCR or IMAP as the repository. In the latter case Torque is used to
> persist data. Is it possible to use the JCR store instead?

The data access in IMAP works but the legacy design is rubbish. Full
and satusfactory integration with James requires changes in both. ATM
looks like we'll probably completely revising the data access in IMAP
then rolling over to James.

IMAP development has been on hold so that a M1 can be cut for James.
This push has stalled since too many James developers are too busy
right now.

But if you're interested in helping out with IMAP development then we
can take a branch and start working.

Robert