james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: DKIM library / mailet
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2008 12:45:29 GMT
On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 11:12 AM, Stefano Bagnara <apache@bago.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I hope to find soon the time to work on DKIM for JAMES.
> I'll start reviewing Tom Brown code at
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-752

cool

> 1) The code is 2 years old and has no license headers. The author
> granted rights for inclusion. Can we commit it (adding license headers)?

yes

i would recommend trying to involve the original contributor (if he's
still around). update the issue now with your intentions and see
whether he's still around. if so, then give him a chance to tidy up
the code, add headers etc, file an ICLA. if he doesn't show up then
it's fine just to go ahead but it's worth trying to recruit him for
the effort.

> 2) The issue with the Yahoo patent:
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/693/
>
> Here is the result of "legal" submittion:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-22 (My english is not good
> enough to understand Ruby/Yandell discussion about "concern" vs "cause
> any concerns").

it's general verses specific

(people at) apache may well be concerned about software patents (in
general) , or about Yahoo's strategy, or whatever

using 'cause any concerns' addresses the narrow question only

> http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html says:
> - Q: Does the Yahoo! DomainKeys Patent License Agreement v1.2 raise any
> concerns?
> - A: No.
>
> I don't care if it raise "concerns" or not, I'd like to know if ASF can
> create and redistribute an implementation of the DKIM specification. :-)

it's good enough, i think

> 3) Where should I commit it? It uses the java.security package, so maybe
> crypto mailet? or another top level library (jDKIM) ?

for legal reasons, i recommend isolating the code and not including it
as part of james 3 codebase. this limits any potential damage if the
legal call turns out to be wrong.

i would see the choice as lying between a simple mailet library in
james/mailet/ and a modular project at top level (library plus mailet
like JSieve). we should link to the mailet from the main mailet page
in either case.

- robert