james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Markus Wiederkehr" <markus.wiederk...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Fork mime4j mailing list
Date Fri, 02 Jan 2009 11:41:20 GMT
On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 9:39 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin
<robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 2:55 PM, Bernd Fondermann
> <bernd.fondermann@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On 2008-12-29, Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 11:21 AM, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org>
wrote:

>>> <snip>

>>> james is a big project covering a lot of different topics. it's rare
>>> for any developer to be actively interested in every area.
>>>
>>> the server provides a focus for James by drawing together all the
>>> products developed. this focus creates a core community for the
>>> project.
>>>
>>> as products are factored out, they start to attract use cases beyond
>>> the core server. this helps to improve the quality of the library. the
>>> james server-dev list is high volume. this creates a barrier to entry
>>> for those who are interested in developing these new use cases. so
>>> IMHO as interest develops in the libraries, it's healthy to encourage
>>> them to develop their own communities safe in the knowledge that there
>>> will still be considerable intersection.
>>>
>>> it's hard to predict how active and popular FOSS projects will become
>>> and - of course - one does not necessarily imply the other. i'm happy
>>> to see a healthy community developing for mime4j and think the time is
>>> right to allow it a little more space.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> mime4j more than other products within James has a chance to develop
>> its own life and lifecycle. Let's support this proactively.
>>
>> We should have a formal vote, shouldn't we?
>
> perhaps
>
> i still hope a few more developers will jump into this discussion thread...

I don't have a strong opinion about this. For me the [mime4j] prefix
and a gmail filter works well enough.

But of course it's understandable that maybe some James server
developers feel that Mime4j should have its own list when nearly every
second mail sent to server-dev is about Mime4j.

On the other hand I'm not sure if a separation into an independent
project would be such a good idea. For example as DOM support in
Mime4j improves it might become a good alternative to JavaMail. When
that happens I would like to see support for Mime4j in the Mailet API.
That would tie the projects together again.

Also I'm still new to this project. Can someone explain to me how
James Server and Mime4j are related at this point? The Mailet API is
centered around JavaMail. Is Mime4j used anywhere else in James
Server?

Markus