james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Markus Wiederkehr" <markus.wiederk...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [mime4j] MIME4J-6 Loading bodies on demand instead of using temporary files
Date Sat, 10 Jan 2009 20:05:44 GMT
On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 4:34 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
<robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:
> what about https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MIME4J-6?
>
> should this be addressed? closed? moved to 0.7?

I don't like the idea very much. Not that it wouldn't be nice to have
but the necessary changes in Mime4J would be too drastic in my
opinion.

I think the idea behind this issue is to improve performance. I wonder
if that's even possible considering that it would require two passes
to fully parse a message.

Also not every InputStream is capable of telling the current position
and seeking to a position and opening a new InputStream from there
(the basic idea behind JavaMail's SharedInputStream). So in many cases
it would be necessary to copy the message to a storage that is capable
of creating such special input streams before parsing. This would
further degrade performance.

And last but not least I think Stefano's comment on potential nested
encodings is a valid concern.

Markus