james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Markus Wiederkehr" <markus.wiederk...@gmail.com>
Subject [mime4j] MIME4J-77 Decide Whether MimeException should extend IOException
Date Sat, 10 Jan 2009 21:00:50 GMT
You're gonna hate me..

With MIME4J-77 the decision was made to decouple MimeException from
IOException and to introduce an adaptor class, MimeIOException. And
yes, I agreed on that.

But now that I have worked with the current trunk a bit I am not so
sure any more.

Because now all of a sudden one has to deal with MimeExceptions and
MimeIOExceptions and I think to a novice user it's not clear why.

Robert argued that Mime4J is an I/O library and I/O libraries should
throw IOExceptions. While I don't completely agree on that I would
still prefer to go back to the way things were in 0.5. That is,
MimeException extends IOException without an adaptor class.

All I'm saying is maybe we should reconsider this before we release
0.6 because afterwards its more difficult to change.

Markus