james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Markus Wiederkehr" <markus.wiederk...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [mime4j] Refactor a few classes / packages?
Date Mon, 19 Jan 2009 13:06:37 GMT
On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 10:01 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin
<robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 11:47 PM, Markus Wiederkehr
> <markus.wiederkehr@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I would like to refactor a few things in Mime4j:
>>
>> 1) I think package o.a.j.mime4j.decoder should be renamed in
>> o.a.j.mime4j.codec because it also contains a few encoder classes.
>
> +1
>
>> 2) How about replacing o.a.j.m.field.address.AddressList by
>> List<Address>? Analogous for DomainList and MailboxList. I think these
>> classes were useful when Mime4j was a Java 1.4 library; now their
>> purpose is questionable.
>
> i quite like them but the API would be more obvious and simple without
> them so i'm
>
> +1
>
> there are some utility methods which are used in protocol work
> downstream (eg flatten) but these could easily enough factored out

flatten could be a static method in Mailbox for example. I'll try to
refactor the code; if it does not work out nicely I'll postpone it to
0.7 or drop it entirely.

>> 3) I would also like to merge o.a.j.m.util.MessageUtils into MimeUtil.
>> I don't think we need two utility classes with very similar purposes.
>
> +1
>
> there was a time when it looked like there may be enough code to
> justify the split. it hasn't turned out that way. let's simplify.

On second thought CharsetUtil seems to be the better choice.
MessageUtils has static constants for charsets US_ASCII and LATIN 1.
The method isAscii() is charset related, of course. One could argue
about isWhitespace() and constants like CR and LF but I think
CharsetUtil would be a good place for those, too.

Markus