james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara ...@bago.org>
Subject Re: NetMatcher
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2009 17:47:28 GMT
Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 5:23 PM, Aidan Skinner <aidan@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi JAMESers,
>
> hi Aidan
>
>> I'm borrowing o.a.james.util.NetMatcher.java for Qpid to implement
>> netmask matching for access restriction purpouses. I'd rather not
>> maintain a fork in-tree for long, and wondered if there'd be any
>> interest in your side in moving this somewhere more generally useful
>> (it's pretty nifty code). commons-net seemed like the obvious place to
>> me but I'm open to other suggestions.
>
> (i'm not knowledgable about this part of the code base so hopefully
> someone who knows more will jump)
>
> the NetMatcher implementation in 2.3 seems like a reasonable candidate
> for a micro-library such as commons-net
>
> the implementation has been refactored in the 3.x branch so that an
> external DNS service can be used. so, james already maintains an
> internal fork. the revised code is unlikely to be suitable for a
> commons-net.

We removed all usages of java net dns related classes because the
internal resolver does not handle cache expiration, so it is useless and
very dangerous in a server environment where you don't restart the java
application every 5 minutes.

I don't remember why NetMatcher needs dns lookups.

> i would support forking the 2.3 version to commons-net and maintaining it there

Maybe commons-net already rely on java net dns classes, so it seems a
good plan.

Stefano