james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: NetMatcher
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2009 17:39:51 GMT
On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 5:23 PM, Aidan Skinner <aidan@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi JAMESers,

hi Aidan

> I'm borrowing o.a.james.util.NetMatcher.java for Qpid to implement
> netmask matching for access restriction purpouses. I'd rather not
> maintain a fork in-tree for long, and wondered if there'd be any
> interest in your side in moving this somewhere more generally useful
> (it's pretty nifty code). commons-net seemed like the obvious place to
> me but I'm open to other suggestions.

(i'm not knowledgable about this part of the code base so hopefully
someone who knows more will jump)

the NetMatcher implementation in 2.3 seems like a reasonable candidate
for a micro-library such as commons-net

the implementation has been refactored in the 3.x branch so that an
external DNS service can be used. so, james already maintains an
internal fork. the revised code is unlikely to be suitable for a
commons-net.

i would support forking the 2.3 version to commons-net and maintaining it there

- robert