james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Eric MacAdie <e...@MacAdie.net>
Subject Re: Project status and perception
Date Tue, 12 May 2009 16:51:18 GMT
Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
> On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 8:13 PM, Eric MacAdie <eric@macadie.net> wrote:
>
>> WRT documentation, I have posted a few pages about James on my site. Have a
>> look at them and let me know if you think they might be helpful.
>>
>> http://www.MacAdie.net/opencms/opencms/sites/MacAdie.dot.Net/Java/James/index.html
>>

> yep :-)
>
> and you're (all) right that documentation is scattered around
>
> the current wiki has a low barrier to entry (which is good for
> informal documention) but the content can't be used as official
> documentation (apache lacks the required license). this limits the
> usefulness as far as developing consistent user documentation goes.
>
> added content to the website means checking out the source and using
> maven to build it. i try to encourage contributors to do this since
> it's the first step towards becoming a committer. but as some folks on
> this thread have noted, it is a little fiddly and has a relatively
> high barrier to entry.
>
> then again, any contributors are going to need to jump through some
> hoops to ensure that Apache has the required license to use their
> contributions
>
> one option would be to set up a confluence instance (like
> http://cwiki.apache.org/labs/clouds.html) for an official content -
> user guide, perhaps. contributors would need to have a CLA on file
> (this agreement grants apache the license required to distribute with
> a release). the contents would be exported and included with future
> releases.
>
> would anyone be interested in writing documentation on confluence?
>
> - robert

Sure, I would be interested in writing documentation on confluence.

I think a good place to start would be a step-by-step guide on getting
involved with James. The URL for the "Get Involved" link on the James
site is http://jakarta.apache.org/site/getinvolved.html, which redirects
to http://www.apache.org/foundation/getinvolved.html. And maybe this is
redundant, but a few pages/cheat sheets within James about svn and maven
with a few basic commands to get started would be good. I have little
experience with svn or maven, so reading that I have to go out and learn
several other things just to do the one thing I want is a bit
off-putting. But that is just me.

Also: Is maven the preferred way to build James?

Eric MacAdie