james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Project status and perception
Date Tue, 12 May 2009 20:41:19 GMT
On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 5:51 PM, Eric MacAdie <eric@macadie.net> wrote:
> Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 8:13 PM, Eric MacAdie <eric@macadie.net> wrote:
>>

>>> WRT documentation, I have posted a few pages about James on my site. Have
>>> look at them and let me know if you think they might be helpful.
>>>

>>> http://www.MacAdie.net/opencms/opencms/sites/MacAdie.dot.Net/Java/James/index.html
>>>

>> yep :-)
>>
>> and you're (all) right that documentation is scattered around
>>
>> the current wiki has a low barrier to entry (which is good for
>> informal documention) but the content can't be used as official
>> documentation (apache lacks the required license). this limits the
>> usefulness as far as developing consistent user documentation goes.
>>
>> added content to the website means checking out the source and using
>> maven to build it. i try to encourage contributors to do this since
>> it's the first step towards becoming a committer. but as some folks on
>> this thread have noted, it is a little fiddly and has a relatively
>> high barrier to entry.
>>
>> then again, any contributors are going to need to jump through some
>> hoops to ensure that Apache has the required license to use their
>> contributions
>>
>> one option would be to set up a confluence instance (like
>> http://cwiki.apache.org/labs/clouds.html) for an official content -
>> user guide, perhaps. contributors would need to have a CLA on file
>> (this agreement grants apache the license required to distribute with
>> a release). the contents would be exported and included with future
>> releases.
>>
>> would anyone be interested in writing documentation on confluence?
>>
>> - robert
>>

> Sure, I would be interested in writing documentation on confluence.

great :-)

if you haven't got a CLA on file for apache then the first step is to
do that  (see http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas)

(i'll take a look at getting the confluence instance sorted out

> I think a good place to start would be a step-by-step guide on getting
> involved with James. The URL for the "Get Involved" link on the James site
> is http://jakarta.apache.org/site/getinvolved.html, which redirects to
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/getinvolved.html. And maybe this is
> redundant, but a few pages/cheat sheets within James about svn and maven
> with a few basic commands to get started would be good. I have little
> experience with svn or maven, so reading that I have to go out and learn
> several other things just to do the one thing I want is a bit off-putting.
> But that is just me.

a cheat sheet sounds like a good idea

and yes, the project level documentation could probably do with
revising (this thread is getting a little long and we're drifting OT
so i'll branch a new one)

> Also: Is maven the preferred way to build James?

the answer's a bit complex :-/

the canonical release build for the server is ant. maven is supported
for 3.0 but for 2.3, maven just builds the web site.

the james libraries are a mixed bag

- robert