james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Tomasz Płonka <plon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: My own ESMTP extension, James Server and few questions
Date Tue, 21 Jul 2009 16:27:38 GMT
Hello Robert

2009/7/21 Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com>:
> hi Tomasz
>
> (apologies for the delay in replying)

there is no need for apologies :-)

> On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 5:10 PM, Tomasz Płonka<plonkat@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If anything that I write here is hard to understand please let me
>> know. English is not my native language and there may be some
>> mistakes.
>
> that's fine. many of the developers are also not native english
> speakers. often we find it's easier to post some code or a diagram
> than prose.
>
>> I am student and my thesis is related to electronic mail. I have to
>> choose one e - mail server and implement my own extension of ESMTP. To
>> do this I need to implement two things in this server. First is proper
>> response to my ESMTP command. Second thing is that server must start
>> communication with other server after given amount of  ime.
>
> ok
>
>> Implementing new ESMTP command is simple and I managed to do it
>> myself, but I don't know how I can initialize connection to another
>> server. Can anyone give me some hints how to do it?
>
> (hopefully one of the SMTP experts will jump in sometime soon but i'll
> do my best)
>
> a couple of questions
>
> 1. what type of connection (eg SMTP, POP3, HTTP) do you want to open?
> 2. when does this connection need to be opened? (eg during the SMTP
> processing transaction, during post-processing of the accepted
> message, on a scheduled basis)

a couple of answers ;-)

1.This should be an SMTP connection that will not send any e-mail, but
will only try to extract some information from server using my own
commands

2.The connection should be opened after sending the e-mail with
special parameters (my own parameters) .  The time between sending the
message and connection opening should depend on the message's size.

>> I would be very grateful for any help. And again, if anything is not
>> clear please let me know about it, so I can make it straight.
>
> a diagram would be great :-)
>
> - robert

I'll try to make one :-)