james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: My own ESMTP extension, James Server and few questions
Date Thu, 23 Jul 2009 10:07:47 GMT
Tomasz Płonka ha scritto:
> W dniu 22 lipca 2009 15:28 użytkownik Robert Burrell Donkin
> <robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> napisał:
>> 2009/7/21 Tomasz Płonka <plonkat@gmail.com>:
>>> Hello Robert
>>>
>>> 2009/7/21 Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com>:
>> <snip>

>>> a couple of answers ;-)
>>>
>>> 1.This should be an SMTP connection that will not send any e-mail, but
>>> will only try to extract some information from server using my own
>>> commands
>> ok
>>
>>> 2.The connection should be opened after sending the e-mail with
>>> special parameters (my own parameters) .  The time between sending the
>>> message and connection opening should depend on the message's size.
>> ok
>>
>> 3. is the information obtained going to be used to effect the SMTP
>> transaction? (for example, by fast fail)
>>

> It will not affect SMTP transaction. Information obtained from that
> connection will be used to send message to local email account.

You can use mailets, but keep in mind that while a mailet is processing
it uses a worker thread. If you keep busy all of the worker threads by
"sleeping" then your spool will stop spooling.

You could have a look at RemoteDelivery: it pushes emails in its own
spool and start its own worker threads to retry emails at given times.
You don't need multiple retries, but I guess the logic is really similar.

Stefano