james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: My own ESMTP extension, James Server and few questions
Date Tue, 21 Jul 2009 13:41:29 GMT
hi Tomasz

(apologies for the delay in replying)

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 5:10 PM, Tomasz Płonka<plonkat@gmail.com> wrote:
> If anything that I write here is hard to understand please let me
> know. English is not my native language and there may be some
> mistakes.

that's fine. many of the developers are also not native english
speakers. often we find it's easier to post some code or a diagram
than prose.

> I am student and my thesis is related to electronic mail. I have to
> choose one e – mail server and implement my own extension of ESMTP. To
> do this I need to implement two things in this server. First is proper
> response to my ESMTP command. Second thing is that server must start
> communication with other server after given amount of  ime.

ok

> Implementing new ESMTP command is simple and I managed to do it
> myself, but I don't know how I can initialize connection to another
> server. Can anyone give me some hints how to do it?

(hopefully one of the SMTP experts will jump in sometime soon but i'll
do my best)

a couple of questions

1. what type of connection (eg SMTP, POP3, HTTP) do you want to open?
2. when does this connection need to be opened? (eg during the SMTP
processing transaction, during post-processing of the accepted
message, on a scheduled basis)

> I would be very grateful for any help. And again, if anything is not
> clear please let me know about it, so I can make it straight.

a diagram would be great :-)

- robert