james-server-dev mailing list archives

From spfh...@caseyconnor.org
Subject jSPF nit
Date Thu, 20 Aug 2009 22:49:02 GMT
Hi - maybe this is on the picky side, feel free to say so, but:

org.apache.james.jspf.impl.DNSServiceXBillImpl.java - line 158-160, at
least in rev 801912:

            if (queryResult == Lookup.TRY_AGAIN) {
                throw new TimeoutException(query.getErrorString());
            }

...i'm basically ignorant of the finer points of all this, but doesn't
org.xbill.DNS.Lookup return TRY_AGAIN for a variety of reasons (e.g. not
just Timeouts) which would deserve potentially different
exceptions/logging? from Lookup.java:

  531 		if (badresponse) {
  532 			result = TRY_AGAIN;
  533 			error = badresponse_error;
  534 			done = true;
  535 		} else if (timedout) {
  536 			result = TRY_AGAIN;
  537 			error = "timed out";
  538 			done = true;
  539 		} else if (networkerror) {
  540 			result = TRY_AGAIN;
  541 			error = "network error";
  542 			done = true;

...we were seeing "timeouts" from jSPF in our logs that were happening
in <20ms, so we believe we're having other net issues in reality.

Thanks!
-Casey