james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Markus Wiederkehr <markus.wiederk...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Container/DI
Date Sat, 08 Aug 2009 19:18:56 GMT
On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 12:34 PM, Robert Burrell
Donkin<robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 8:06 PM, Norman Maurer<norman@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> so what was the last conclusion about the "next" used Container/DI
>> Framework ?
>
> IIRC the last round was won by stefano who proved his point about OSGi
> being popular

+1 on OSGi. Private bundle class spaces are reason enough IMO.

>> I think I remember something like Spring/ServiceMix ?
>
> ServiceMix moved their OSGi kernel to felix and it's now called Karaf.
> karaf does blueprint (a standard developed from spring DM) and
> integrates with spring.

Blueprint could be a way to wire things but I haven't really looked
into it yet. (I'm not very fond of the XML approach.)

> but this is a little orthogonal, since karaf is flexible and plays
> well with standards

As long as it runs in other OSGi containers, too. Personally I would
like to deploy James in Equinox.

>> What we want to use ?
>
> personally speaking, i think that decisions about the service layer
> should be separated from decisions about AI assembly of those services
>
> OSGi would be great for the service layer but it'd be a lot of work.
> i've been trying to create an OSGified version of avalon but i'm not
> sure whether i'll find the time i need to finish the work...
>
>> Is there some final decission ?
>
> if only :-/
>
> IMHO this is killing james as a project. maybe it's time to stop
> worrying too much about vetos...

Could we list a few reasonable alternatives and have a vote?

>> During my work on Hupa I used Guice which is really a nice slim DI-Framework. Maybe
it
>> worth to think on Guice too. I think it just depends what we want to
>> use from the framework, if its just DI Guice is a nice choice.
>
> guice is cool (the limited annotation based glue i added is a poor-mans-version)

Guice sure looks interesting. +1 on annotation based injection.

And it does not have to be either OSGi or Guice, see [1]. Peaberry
could be worth looking into.

I'm not sure how Guice could work with optional bundles though. Let's
say we have bundles for smtp, pop3 and imap and some kind of main
bundle. Obviously it should be possible to run James without deploying
the pop3 bundle, for example. But how would you define Guice modules
for that?

Markus

[1] http://code.google.com/docreader/#p=google-guice&s=google-guice&t=OSGi