james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Container/DI
Date Sat, 08 Aug 2009 10:34:33 GMT
On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 8:06 PM, Norman Maurer<norman@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> so what was the last conclusion about the "next" used Container/DI
> Framework ?

IIRC the last round was won by stefano who proved his point about OSGi
being popular

> I think I remember something like Spring/ServiceMix ?

ServiceMix moved their OSGi kernel to felix and it's now called Karaf.
karaf does blueprint (a standard developed from spring DM) and
integrates with spring.

but this is a little orthogonal, since karaf is flexible and plays
well with standards

> What we want to use ?

personally speaking, i think that decisions about the service layer
should be separated from decisions about AI assembly of those services

OSGi would be great for the service layer but it'd be a lot of work.
i've been trying to create an OSGified version of avalon but i'm not
sure whether i'll find the time i need to finish the work...

> Is there some final decission ?

if only :-/

IMHO this is killing james as a project. maybe it's time to stop
worrying too much about vetos...

> During my work on Hupa I used Guice which is really a nice slim DI-Framework. Maybe it
> worth to think on Guice too. I think it just depends what we want to
> use from the framework, if its just DI Guice is a nice choice.

guice is cool (the limited annotation based glue i added is a poor-mans-version)

some changes would be needed to move from away from avalon's
service-injection model

> If we
> want to use some more J2EE stuff, spring is the way to go IMHO.
> This  would at least give use some more stuff like TransactionManagement
> etc..

spring has the advantage that we have a working bridge for avalon

- robert