james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [smtp] Handler Configuration...?
Date Sun, 06 Sep 2009 11:01:26 GMT
On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 11:40 AM, Norman Maurer<norman@apache.org> wrote:
> Comments inline...
>
> 2009/9/6 Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com>:

<snip>

>> ATM those handlers which need configuration either call the
>> SMTPSession or implement Configurable. i would prefer to move away
>> from the Avalon coupling for handlers but i'm not sure the best way
>> forward.
>>
> +1 Move away from Avalon is the right choice. Why not inject a
> CommonsConfiguration object and use this as configuration. We could
> prolly build and Adapter which adapt a Avalon Configuration object to
> Commons Configuration object. So we could at least elimate any Avalon
> dependency in the handlers and hooks..

i'm happy with this approach (though i'd be happier for someone else
to take a look at implementing)

probably have a ConfigurableHandler interface (or something like that)

we probably need a InitialisationHandler interface (or something like
that) to replace the Avalon lifecycle

BTW i'm out of time today for any more changes to james server

- robert