james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Funnell <simonfunn...@googlemail.com>
Subject Not Mine
Date Wed, 18 Nov 2009 22:06:17 GMT
Hi,

By the way, its only 'my' framework by virtue of the fact there is no
'our' to refer to. I could probably refer to it as 'the' framework with
you being able to infer what I am referring to from experience, but its
actually called 'Platformed' and I intend to make it open source. Also,
after some research and reflection, I actually think its much more
suitable (it was designed for this purpose). There is no escaping some
of the differences in approach however. I am quite willing to invest
some time implementing some things which you can take a look at, it
really wouldn't take to long to modify some existing code. Avalon
defines interfaces such as Loggable(?) but there is no equivalent
concept with what I am doing because all things are inherently loggable,
components do have to be built in a way that enables loggability (and
lots of other things) though. It basically means breaking down some of
the existing code into smaller chunks that can pieced together. These
smaller chunks could be recomposed into an alternative implementation of
existing classes and I could also use these smaller chunks in a
different arrangement. As I say, I could implement an example which
would allow people to make an evaluation about any sort of decision or
what not.

I think you might actually like it, it was written a while ago and its
only by looking at it closely again that I remembered how much work I
put into it. My last email didn't accurately reflect the whole
architecture, the micro virtual machines I have touched on are
extensible through 'operations'. Current James classes have methods such
as initialize, service, destroy etc, I would have to replace these
methods with actual classes (which implement an interface called
Operation). Operations are stateless instances that implement
functionality, micro virtual machines provide the operations with a
context upon which to operate. Different micro virtual machines can have
contexts like application/session etc depending on what's required. If
you wanted to log the state of any given machine, at any stage, you just
plug in a logging operation at the necessary place. This can be done
dynamically, like for example an individual client matching some
criteria. The smaller things are, the more reusable they are. I could
very easily create an adapter that takes existing mailet/matchers and
transforms them into Operations for  micro virtual machines processing
the spool.

I've probably said too much/too little so I wont post again until I get
some feed back, or have something working, which ever comes first. I am
still interested in producing some documentation as well, suggestions
are welcome.

Thanks,

Simon