james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Norman Maurer <norman.mau...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Framework/Container
Date Sun, 15 Nov 2009 14:40:30 GMT
Hi Simon,

first of nice to hear you are interested in James :) I already started
to replace many Avalon dependencies from the components of James. The
current Idea is to replace Avalon with Guice for DI. We use
Guicey-fruit to support JSR250 for dependency Injection which provides
at least some "standards".

At the moment I do this step by step by providing some kind of Adapter
between Avalon and Guice to allow the "smooth" migration. Have a look
at the AvalonAsyncSMTPServer for example to get some idea about how it
works atm:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/server/trunk/smtpserver-function/src/main/java/org/apache/james/smtpserver/mina/AvalonAsyncSMTPServer.java

All the "Avalon*" classes will get removed when every component is
rewritten to work with Guice (jsr250).

As Container I'm currently lookin at karaf
(http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-karaf.html). Not sure if
this is really the way to go.

So any feedback / sugguestions are really welcome, and feel free to
ask more questions  :)

Bye,
Norman