james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: Fundamental Flaws
Date Tue, 17 Nov 2009 10:22:16 GMT
2009/11/16 Simon Funnell <simonfunnell@googlemail.com>:
> My framework is not suitable for James/James is not suitable for
> my framework at present because of the following reasons.

You talk about "your framework" but you didn't provide much
information about this. Please let us know what "your framework" is
and why you decided to create "your framework" instead of using an
existing framework (what frameworks did you evaluated, too).

> James is useful, practical
> and a work of art, but it, like many other projects, has some fundamental
> flaws.

I agree.

> [...] but I have
> come to believe the problem is with component design itself.

I mostly agree.

> Anyhow, here goes. Any component that contains any sort of logging code is
> flawed. [...]
> I  have an approach that addresses these issues and if this is the
> appropriate forum I will send another post containing some commentary on how
> to do something about it.

I prefer pratical/concrete stuff. This message would be a waste of
time if you don't follow up with more details, so please go ahead. I
have to admit that "How a java application should deal with logging"
is something that would probably have a better audience in different
lists, but I'm happy to hear your option and discuss it for James. I
admit I don't understand how you think logging should work from your
sentence.

Stefano