james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Charles <eric.char...@u-mangate.com>
Subject Re: JAMES OOM, maybe the cause of MINA ?
Date Fri, 09 Apr 2010 18:14:27 GMT
Hi Ashish,

I am the user who has many OOM with the trunk and feed Norman with my
issues :)

1.
Indeed, you have the dump with CircularQueue from mina 2.0.0-RC1. This
is the release we normally use in james and give the issue after a
certain period of time. I mean, the server can stay working correctly 2
days or crash after 2 hours (see
http://apache.u-mangate.com/james/oom/oom.png) due to a peak in memory
usage. T
To further investigate, we tried with mina trunk 2.0.0-RC2-SNAPSHOT :
There, we see a direct crash.  I've uploaded such a dump on
http://apache.u-mangate.com/james/oom/index.html (click on shift-f5 to
force refresh, I setup the web server in a hurry).  You will see there
recursive ConcurrentLinkedQueue.

2.
As shown on http://apache.u-mangate.com/james/oom/oom.png, the system
works while the line is flat (mail are received, spooled,
delivered,...). On a few seconds, it peaks and of course, nothing works
anymore.  So, the messages don't remain in the spool. I made tests with
quite huge messages, and they are delivered very fast as soon as they
arrive in James.

Don't hesitate to ask more questions or propose additional tests.

Many tks in advance,

Eric