james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Norman Maurer <nor...@apache.org>
Subject [IMAP] Over-designed /Some thoughts ?
Date Tue, 27 Apr 2010 09:42:24 GMT
Hi all,

after spending some time over the weekend to fix some issues with IMAP
I started to feel its a big "over-designed" ...

I think it would be a good think to "simplify" the api a bit to make
it a bit easier to understand. So some points which came to me mind:

1) UidChangeTracking:

Is this really necessary ? It does some kind of caching but I don't
see something else for which its useful. Why not just fire the events
directly with a shared MailboxEventDispatcher which is the same for
all Mailboxes?

2) Global Mailbox caching

At the moment the Mailbox is cached in a HashMap. The problem with
this is it will never get recycled by the GC. This can generate a OOM
over long time
The other problem with this is, the Mailbox should be "tight" to the
MailboxSession. Let me explain why. For example in JCR we could use
the User/Pass which is bound to the MailboxSession to access different
parts of the JCR Repository etc..

Thoughts ?