james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Eric I." <e...@linuxbox.com>
Subject James IMAP and Alfresco and refactoring
Date Tue, 04 May 2010 17:43:19 GMT
I'm trying to provide an IMAP interface to email stored on an Alfresco repository using James
IMAP and JCR as the bridge. The initial problem I ran into a couple weeks ago was that Alfresco's
JCR implementation only allows one session per thread. James IMAP, however, creates new JCR
sessions pretty liberally, sometimes multiple sessions in processing a single request (in
fact, that's how I discovered the issue).

1) Is this a reasonable assumption/constraint by Alfresco? I haven't found it anywhere else.

2) And is there a good reason not to change James IMAP's JCR implementation to re-use JCR
sessions rather than create new ones for a given client?

It looks like Norman Maurer has done quite a bit of work on James IMAP in the last couple
of weeks; a lot of it seems to be some much needed refactoring. The changes I'd made a couple
weeks ago to start addressing the multiple JCR session issue collided with the recent trunk
changes (including some JCR session management). I'm concerned by what looks to be regularly
merging divergent changes, so I thought I'd check in first, especially with Norman Maurer,
who looks to be incredibly active on the trunk.

Would it be worth discussing where James IMAP is going in the near-term and whether we should
coordinate.

Thanks,

Eric