james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Norman Maurer <norman.mau...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: James IMAP and Alfresco and refactoring
Date Tue, 04 May 2010 18:23:41 GMT
Hi Eric,

first of welcome :)

To be honest the current JCR implementation in the imap source code is
more a proof-of-concept then anything else. And thats my fault, my JCR
knewledge is not really good ;)

So I would be very happy to see how you would tackle it. Feedback and
contributions are always welcome..
About your comments :

1) I never had a look at Alfresco, so I can't be any help
2) Well I thought session creation is a lightweight task. I read
somewhere session pooling does not perform very well. But I would like
to see how it work out for you ..

So if you like to contribute something to the JCR implementation we
are definitly interested !

Bye,
Norman

2010/5/4 Eric I. <eric@linuxbox.com>:
> I'm trying to provide an IMAP interface to email stored on an Alfresco repository using
James IMAP and JCR as the bridge. The initial problem I ran into a couple weeks ago was that
Alfresco's JCR implementation only allows one session per thread. James IMAP, however, creates
new JCR sessions pretty liberally, sometimes multiple sessions in processing a single request
(in fact, that's how I discovered the issue).

> 1) Is this a reasonable assumption/constraint by Alfresco? I haven't found it anywhere
else.

> 2) And is there a good reason not to change James IMAP's JCR implementation to re-use
JCR sessions rather than create new ones for a given client?

> It looks like Norman Maurer has done quite a bit of work on James IMAP in the last couple
of weeks; a lot of it seems to be some much needed refactoring. The changes I'd made a couple
weeks ago to start addressing the multiple JCR session issue collided with the recent trunk
changes (including some JCR session management). I'm concerned by what looks to be regularly
merging divergent changes, so I thought I'd check in first, especially with Norman Maurer,
who looks to be incredibly active on the trunk.