james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara ...@bago.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release apache-mailet 2.5
Date Sun, 02 May 2010 10:31:26 GMT
2010/5/1 Stefano Bagnara <io@bago.org>:
>> We added support for chaining matchers. See:
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-948
>>
>> I should prolly add it to mailet jira too..
>
> I currently don't understand why this required changes to the mailet
> api, but maybe I'll understand once I'll be back home and I'll review
> the sources!
> I'd expect the matcher composition to be an implementation specific
> feature and not an API stuff, but I'm probably missing something ;-)

OK, I found the time for reviewing. My opinion is that it would be
better to have CompositeMatcher in org.apache.james.transport as an
implementation specific interface at this time and not to alter the
mailet api with a new interface. The way matchers are
combined/combinable in a particular mailet container implementation
should be implementation specific and not defined by the API. An
implementation could define a DSL to create a complex matcher/mailet
workflow.

Also, moving the interface to james instead of mailet api allow to
still depend on the previous mailet-api release (2.4).

So, +0 from me as I don't think we need a 2.5 release that require
people to recompile their in-house mailet (IIUC we also removed a
method from mailet api) and doesn't add much in exchange, but I also
don't want to stop/slow this much needed milestone release effort, so
if you think 2.5 is the way to go and you don't collect more +1 I can
change my vote to +1 (it's better to have a new release with something
I don't like than no release at all ;-) ).

Stefano