james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: James IMAP and Alfresco and refactoring
Date Thu, 06 May 2010 21:14:01 GMT
On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 4:28 PM, Tim-Christian Mundt <dev@tim-erwin.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 05.05.2010, 21:55 +0100, Robert Burrell Donkin:
>>
>> use an internal API, then any changes can be bridged. a good
>> commons-style Maildir library would be really useful generally and
>> much easier to debug. so that's where i'd start.
>
> This sounds reasonable. Actually, I found James because I was looking
> for an IMAP library. Don't know to what extent the IMAP part is reusable
> for other projects.

IIRC AIUI a few people have made use of it outside james. IMAP was
just missing socket foo last time i looked at it.

> Do you have more in mind with "commons-style" than
> "reusable" and "general"?

just a micro-library for basic maildir operations so probably not really

> While I agree, it's good to have a general library and a bridge (like
> for the other stores), I'd still want it to fit the James IMAP API
> because a) the bridge should be as simple as possible and b) it gives
> more than a hint about how imap serves are structured.

you'll probably want to adapt one of the existing bridges

> Moreover, having
> something that works for James is of much higher priority than making it
> general (although this is still desired).

the heavy lifting is going to be the maildir implementation. if you
can get a micro-library which works well and is debugged then the rest
should be easy enough.

- robert