james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Tim-Christian Mundt <...@tim-erwin.de>
Subject Re: [IMAP] Cut a milestone ?
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2010 08:13:50 GMT
Hi!

There is this one change of the database layout which should be decided
upon before releasing, I think. Messing with code after the release is
fine, but changing the database would be bad. I'm talking about Normans
idea to unite the Message and Membership interfaces/classes => tables.
The original idea of separating those was not to pass the whole mime
message around when just the flags are needed. Moreover, the Membership
part would serve as a reference to the Message so that a copy would just
mean another reference to the same mail.

The question: does the increased complexity really pay off? I think
saving space is not really an argument because it's not really common to
have duplicates (at least in my experience). And loading the "whole
message" would not mean the contents but only a stream handler, not a
memory killer, right?

Regards
Tim

Eric Charles: