james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Norman Maurer <nor...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Module redesign / relayout
Date Fri, 11 Jun 2010 18:12:17 GMT
Hi Ian,

comments inside..

2010/6/11 Ian Boston <ieb@tfd.co.uk>:

> On 11 Jun 2010, at 09:26, Norman Maurer wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> before we release M1 of james-server I would like to rework the maven2
>> structure of james server . I think we should move some packages
>> around to be able to better support OSGI in the future. I think many
>> of the modules are just a left over from the time back when we used
>> ant. For example the core-library and core-function module. I think
>> this should get merged. Then we have the different implementations of
>> many services. Most times we have a db and fs implementation. I think
>> we should seperate them too. So we could create "cleaner" osgi bundles
>> later.
>>
>> Thoughts ?
>

> Having cleaner modularisation from an OSGi point of view would certainly help those that
want to use parts of James inside an OSGi environment, by simply depending on the bundles
rather than having to role your own or embed.

Thats true! And one of my goals. In the long term I would like to be
able to run james in osgi.

> How these are constructed? I don't have enough information or experience with James to
know, but I would hope that where are only 4 or 5 bundles max for a configuration of James
bundles.

What you mean ? The services are constructed via spring with JSR250
for injection.

About 4,5 bundles im not sure.. I think we would  at least this
bundles (I only list bundles which are components:

* smtpserver
* remotemanager
* pop3server
* imapserver
* dnserver
* domainlist
* user
* virtualusertable
* management
* spoolmanager

I hope I not missed something. I'm currently not 100 % sure howto
handle different service implementations. We have for example often a
db and one file implementation of the same service. So I guess I would
need to have a bundle for each right ?

> Ian
>

>> Bye,
>> Norman
>>
>> Ps: I think I will start to work on this at the weekend, we can revert
>> it later if we think it was a bad idea ...

Bye,
Norman