james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Norman Maurer <nor...@apache.org>
Subject [IMAP] Design flaws / Performance problems
Date Thu, 17 Jun 2010 16:38:08 GMT
Hi all,

after testing a bit around with current version of imap I noticed some
design flaws. These flaws just kick in when you have a lot of mail and
slow things down.. So here is what I found and how I would like to fix
it:

1) When selecting a Mailbox (a select INBOX) the count of all messages
and the count of all recent messages get calculated on the fly. That
works well on small mailboxes, but as more messages you have as slower
it get.
I would like to store the messageCount and recentMessageCount in the
Mailbox and just update these on append/setFlags/expunge operations.
To be sure we don't get corrupted data somehow, we should create some
kind of backgroundprocess which recalculate these counts every X
hours.

2) When selecting a Mailbox (a select INBOX) we need to get the first
recent message. For this we fetch ALL recent messages and just return
the first after that.
I think we should just fetch 1 message, because we only need one!

Thats it for now..

WDYT ?

Bye,
Norman