james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Francois-Denis Gonthier <fdgonth...@revolutionlinux.com>
Subject Confused by UID vs message number in James IMAP
Date Sun, 12 Sep 2010 02:46:57 GMT
Hello all,

As you know I am writing a store to connect an IMAP server to Nuxeo. I'm currently at the
point where I can list the content of a virtual mailbox but I have hit a major wall with regard
to UID generation.

For me, the disconnect between UID and message number, as represented by the class UidToMsnConverter,
is confusing the hell out of me. I'm not sure how I should generate the IMAP UID I associate
with documents in the Nuxeo store. I'm not sure if I should care about generating UIDs matching
with IMAP standards. I really need further explanation because I don't believe this is intuitive
nor documented.

This difficulty has been compounded by the fact that I have found difficult to find the right
way to inform the processor that a new message was created.

In my opinion, the UidToMsnConverter is a mistake. Caching UIDs should be left as an exercice
to the store implementor if they want it, or be provided as an optional service. This layers
has made debugging difficult for me. The getMsn method returning -1 has also masked some problem
from my view while debugging, problem which were only found by observing the client IMAP trace
and debugging the IMAP processor.

--
Fran├žois-Denis Gonthier
Programmeur/analyste