james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Charles <e...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What's in a store?
Date Mon, 06 Sep 2010 06:24:14 GMT
  OK, we've done a picture of the current situation.

I would like to pick an simple example as strong requirement to unify
the store/repository (whatever then name is) API across all projects.
In spoolmanager.xml, we define respositoryPath such as db://maildb/spam.
These repositoryPath are used in mailets,...
Let's say I want to develop a mailet that under certain conditions
stores the mail in a folder (let's say "spam" folder) of the user.
If the mailbox is for example JCR, I have no standard way to define the
folder path in the james-server "repository" syntax. Or I must invent
one... (jcr://...? or a more generic one mailbox:///? because I don't
want to change spoolmanager.xml if spring-beans.xml changes)

If both are linked, we have clear conventions to implement.
And we can always release any project when we want.

This is why I think we should link in a way or another the james-server
repository and the imap store. Not only on syntax extension, but also on
implementing classes.

Tks,

Eric