james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Norman Maurer <nor...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Confused by UID vs message number in James IMAP
Date Sun, 12 Sep 2010 15:13:47 GMT
Hi there,

comments included..

2010/9/12 Francois-Denis Gonthier <fdgonthier@revolutionlinux.com>:
> Hello all,
>
> As you know I am writing a store to connect an IMAP server to Nuxeo. I'm currently at
the point where I can list the content of a virtual mailbox but I have hit a major wall with
regard to UID generation.

Could you explain what gives you so much trouble with generating UID's ?

> For me, the disconnect between UID and message number, as represented by the class UidToMsnConverter,
is confusing the hell out of me. I'm not sure how I should generate the IMAP UID I associate
with documents in the Nuxeo store. I'm not sure if I should care about generating UIDs matching
with IMAP standards. I really need further explanation because I don't believe this is intuitive
nor documented.

For more information on the uid stuff I would suggest to read the rfc:
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3501.html#  (2.3.1.1.        Unique
Identifier (UID) Message Attribute)

> This difficulty has been compounded by the fact that I have found difficult to find the
right way to inform the processor that a new message was created.

Why this ? I mean this should get handled via the MailboxListener
stuff. Can you give me some more informations about your problems ?

> In my opinion, the UidToMsnConverter is a mistake. Caching UIDs should be left as an
exercice to the store implementor if they want it, or be provided as an optional service.
This layers has made debugging difficult for me. The getMsn method returning -1 has also masked
some problem from my view while debugging, problem which were only found by observing the
client IMAP trace and debugging the IMAP processor.

Well the "caching" is mostly done to make sure the UID to MSN mapping
will be correct while have the mailbox selected. Not sure how you
would handle this otherwise..

> --
> François-Denis Gonthier
> Programmeur/analyste
> 819-780-8955 #1128                http://www.revolutionlinux.com/

But as always we are very happy with any comment/question to improve
the code more :)

Bye,
Norman