james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Charles <e...@apache.org>
Subject ActiveMQ the cause?
Date Sun, 10 Oct 2010 16:31:58 GMT
Hi,

I have on James 3 (trunk of 2 week ago) my INBOX with 10 subfolders,
some of these subfolders having more than 10.000 mails.
I mainly use a PC, so the IMAP sync is done regulary along the day.

I also have another PC I synchronize once a week.
During the IMAP sync of that PC, I selected randomly some subfolders and
saw (this occured twice, but not always...):
- Thunderbird syncs well during a some minutes (10?)
- After, Thunderbird begins to say "downloading xx of yy mails".. .when
yy is reached, he says "downloading ww of zz" where zz is a little
greater than yy.
- I wait, wait, and finally have timeout, and the mails are no more
viewable in thunderbird.

James is stucked.
The first time I had OOM (I think), today, I had no OOM, but James was
no more reachable via IMAP, though accepting mails via SMTP.

I stopped, and when restarting, I had the following exception (James was
not usable anymore):
INFO  18:16:37,646 | org.apache.activemq.store.kahadb.plist.PListStore |
PListStore:activemq-data/localhost/tmp_storage started
INFO  18:16:37,648 | org.apache.activemq.broker.BrokerService | Using
Persistence Adapter:
KahaDBPersistenceAdapter[activemq-data/localhost/KahaDB]
INFO  18:16:38,248 | org.apache.activemq.store.kahadb.plist.PListStore |
PListStore:../data/localhost/tmp_storage started
ERROR 18:16:38,301 | org.apache.activemq.broker.BrokerService | Failed
to start ActiveMQ JMS Message Broker. Reason: java.io.EOFException:
Chunk stream does not exist at page: 0
java.io.EOFException: Chunk stream does not exist at page: 0
         at
org.apache.kahadb.page.Transaction$2.readPage(Transaction.java:454)
         at
org.apache.kahadb.page.Transaction$2.<init>(Transaction.java:431)
         at
org.apache.kahadb.page.Transaction.openInputStream(Transaction.java:428)
         at org.apache.kahadb.page.Transaction.load(Transaction.java:404)
         at org.apache.kahadb.page.Transaction.load(Transaction.java:361)
         at
org.apache.activemq.store.kahadb.MessageDatabase$1.execute(MessageDatabase.java:243)
         at org.apache.kahadb.page.Transaction.execute(Transaction.java:728)
         at
org.apache.activemq.store.kahadb.MessageDatabase.loadPageFile(MessageDatabase.java:230)
         at
org.apache.activemq.store.kahadb.MessageDatabase.open(MessageDatabase.java:309)
         at
org.apache.activemq.store.kahadb.MessageDatabase.load(MessageDatabase.java:353)
         at
org.apache.activemq.store.kahadb.MessageDatabase.doStart(MessageDatabase.java:217)
         at
org.apache.activemq.store.kahadb.KahaDBStore.doStart(KahaDBStore.java:178)

Sounds l ike https://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/AMQ-2935.

To solve it, I had to remove the activemq-data directory (btw, 2 weeks
ago was activemq 5.4.0 with 2 brokers started and activemq-data in bin
directory).

I made a test to restart from scratch my account in thunderbird, and it
was OK.

Is it because it does a incremental sync and I select different folders
(just to make things complicated :) ) during the download ?

Anyway, it is not easy to reproduce.
Activemq 5.4.1. may be worth to try, but I'm not sure it the the cause...

Tks,

Eric