james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Charles <e...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Discuss] MailRepository(Store) Naming
Date Tue, 28 Dec 2010 10:25:51 GMT
Hi Stefano,

Yes, Mailbox contains the users' mails (just like he sees it in its mail
client, classed by "folder").
Depending on the configuration, the mails are stored in files (maildir:
1 file by mail), database (jpa: headers and body splitted, body as a
blob),...

MailRepository used the james 2.3 technology (file, jdbc,...) to persist
all other mails (non mailbox)

MailRepositoryStore is the list of available MailRepositories in the server.

Naming criteria should be:
- Be distinctive from Mailbox (user/developer must not confuse both,
which is the case now)
- Indicate that it is not for end-user mails but for all the rest (spam,
virussed, undelivered, deadletter,... mails).
- Not break the ToRepository mailet API (if api says ToRepository..., it
should go to a Repository)
- Be nice to read and to code :)

I like the idea of "Registry" as a replacement for "Store". It
represents well some stuff have been registered and are available for use.

I've got mixed feeling on EnvelopeRepository.
On one side, it shows that it contains envelope (closed mails) so "not
to be read".
On the other side, it could let think that it contains the technical
envelope (headers,...) of the end-user mail, so still confusing with the
Mailbox's mails.
Same comment for LetterRepository (and its LetterRepositoryRegistry)...

Tks,

Eric