james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Charles <e...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Discuss] MailRepository(Store) Naming
Date Tue, 28 Dec 2010 10:36:32 GMT
2 different persistences (mailbox, mailrepository) for mails sounds
curious, but there are for different purposes (mailbox for users' mails,
mailrespository for the rest such as spam, virus).
Even if I was pro- for the merging of both, it seems that users' mailbox
should be much hacked to store "rest" mails (the spam, the virus,...).
For example, users having jpa mailbox would have an additional table to
persist the spam... What about maildir which is well defined and should
be extended to support a "spam" dir.
So a // storage such as the current mailrepository is probably the less
intrusive option, even if we have to duplicate all the persistence
adapters (database, file, jcr, nosql,...).

Tks,

Eric

On 28/12/2010 11:16, Norman Maurer wrote:
> Well I think it still can be used to store Mail objects from Mailets.
> Or you think we would be better of to just use the "Mailbox API" there
> too ? At the moment the Mailbox API only supports users mailboxes so
> its not really a good fit as far as I can tell..
>
> Bye,
> Norman
>
> 2010/12/28 Stefano Bagnara<apache@bago.org>:
>> So the Repository stuff should not be used at all in James 3.
>> Maybe we should leave it there only for people having to migrate data.
>>
>> I see we probably need replacement for ToRepository with a couple of mailets:
>> 1) A mailet that write the message to a specific folder of a specific mailbox.
>> 2) A mailet that stores the mimemessage as a plain mime file in a folder.
>>
>> Stefano
>>
>> 2010/12/28 Norman Maurer<norman@apache.org>:
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> Mailbox store kind of simple streams with some metadata (its the
>>> mailbox project stuff). MailRepository is the old one we used in james
>>> 2.3 for INBOX and as basis for the SpoolRepository. In the current
>>> james its only used for storing Mails via the ToRepository Mailet..
>>>
>>> Bye,
>>> Norman

would