james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Charles <e...@apache.org>
Subject [Discuss] Per service logging in server
Date Sun, 02 Jan 2011 10:13:00 GMT
Hi,

The current logging in server relies on a per-service/bean log4j appender.
This allows to have log files per service (pop, smtp,...) based on bean
names defined in the spring context.

commons-logging is used and depending on the presence of log4j, a
Log4JLogger or a Jdk14Logger is instanciated
http://commons.apache.org/logging/guide.html#Configuration

This approach has proved well, but I've got questions on 2 use cases.
(PS: From
http://wiki.apache.org/commons/Logging/FrequentlyAskedQuestions: "The
configuration supported by JCL is limited to choosing the underlying
logging system. JCL does not (and will never) support changing the
configuration of the wrapped logging system. Please use the mechanisms
provided by the underlying logging system.")

1. How to see the log result in the console when running tests in non
server (mailbox, imap,...) test classes.
-> configure $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/logging.properties ?
-> Add log4 as dependency and configure log4j ?

2. Configure the logging for small components (without having to define
a new entry in log4j.properties).
-> typical component is the mailboxcopier. I don't think it's worth to
define a new entry in log4j.properties for each new small component.
-> maybe have some generic mailbox, imap, protocols appenders in
log4j.properties.

Tks,

Eric