james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Patrick Pyette <ppye...@perimind.com>
Subject POP3/Outlook Error
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2011 16:05:41 GMT
Hi,

I'm getting this issue regularly when users access their accounts via both webmail client
and Outlook.   The message from Outlook contained in the image attached, but reads:

"Your POP3 server is providing inconsistent information.   The number of messages returned
by the STAT command does not match the number of items returned by the UIDL or LIST commands."

When I run a telnet session, I get responses as follows:

UIDL
+OK unique-id listing follows
1 5
2 6
3 7
4 8
5 9
6 10
7 11
8 12
9 15
10 16
11 17
12 18
13 21
14 26
15 30
16 2
17 19
18 20
19 4
20 37
21 40
22 41
23 3
24 13
25 1
26 34
27 14
28 35
29 23
30 36
31 33
32 24
33 25
34 27
35 28
36 29
37 31
38 38
39 39
40 22
41 32

-----------

LIST
+OK 28 121546
1 663
2 663
3 662
4 752
5 751
6 663
7 662
8 662
9 649
10 649
11 664
12 662
13 753
14 2696
15 654
16 664
17 752
18 649
19 766
20 653
21 2696
22 675
23 91888
24 2694
25 2689
26 655
27 659
28 3901
.
STAT
+OK 28 121546

What appears to be happening is that UIDL is returning the list of all messages in all mailbox
folders, while the other commands are returning only those in the INBOX.

I'm not sure how to interpret the spec (it talks about a given "maildrop"), but since POP3
doesn't know about folders should UIDL only return the list of items in the INBOX?

Thanks,
Pat