james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Charles <e...@apache.org>
Subject Re: let the coding start
Date Sat, 11 Jun 2011 14:42:02 GMT
Hi Ioan,

Even if James can be considered as a replacement for existing de-facto
mailservers (simply for example by taking the maildir folder), the
adoption will probably occur for some special use cases:
- Mail integration in existing JAVA applications/environment
- Mail processing during the spool, for some functions such as
transformation, ai (artificial intelligence)...
- Deployment in the cloud (amazon...) with the addition of some
components such as a distributed mailbox...
- IMAP extensions that wouldn't be implemented by others
- ...

For "standard" usage correctly served by today servers, the chance is
high that we won't find today much echo in the "classical" segment. This
may change as more and more James installations arise.

About the HBase samples, you can look at [1].
HBase needs Hadoop behind, so [2] could be interesting, even if the
Hadoop API should normally not be called directly.

I will also ping the hbase mailing list that we launch a GSOC with their
component (don't forget to register to their mailing list if this is not
already the case).

Tks,
- Eric

[1] https://github.com/echarles/t4f-hbase