james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1134885 - /james/server/trunk/container-spring/pom.xml
Date Mon, 13 Jun 2011 14:53:12 GMT
2011/6/13 Eric Charles <eric@apache.org>:

>> So at least we have a way out as I can redistribute it, but I hope we
>> don't even need this (I don't want to fight with maven central
>> managers in order to have a second identical copy of the artifact
>> published in their tree and I don't know where to publish it as apache
>> doesn't want to publish third party software).
>>

> As temporary workaround (if other options don't find concretization), we can
> setup a public folder on a developer home folder on people.apache.org and
> put the redistributed artificat there (and add that link in the <repository>
> tag of our pom).

I don't still agree with Robert point (IMO he misunderstood what
artifacts we use and how), anyway I just published my MIT licensed
copy of 3.2.3 wrapper here:
http://people.apache.org/~bago/third-party/

I checked it is bit-per-bit identical to the one in the maven central
and also identical to the one that can be obtained on the official
sourceforge repository:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wrapper/files/wrapper/Wrapper_3.2.3_20061016/

In order to use it we'd have to include people.apache.org as a
repository (and to publish it in a maven repository layout structure,
not legacy as maven 3 doesn't support legacy anymore, AFAIK). This
will also prevent publishing james artifacts in central as central
doesn't allow pom's with external repositories. So I think we should
simply use the tar.gz from central as it contains a valid and
compatible license and Robert concerns are invalid in our real
use-case (Robert said he reviewed the jar and the pom, and not the
artifact we use: the tar.gz).

Stefano