james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Ioan Eugen Stan <stan.ieu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: great news
Date Fri, 22 Jul 2011 22:44:11 GMT

>> Maybe I'm wrong, but messagemapper will take more time than
>> mailbox/subscription.  Two days sounds short to have it working.
>
> Eric is right.. the MessageMapper stuff is the most complex here...

It seems I have underestimated the MessageMapper a litlle bit. I have
some questions regarding the state of a Message object.

1. I have only access to the Message and Mailbox interfaces when
saving/deleting messages?
2. When I wish to save the contents of a message, the message size is
known (BodyOctets and fullContentOctets) or I have to get the size by
counting the fields?
3. The mailboxUID field of Message is the same as the UID of the
mailbox object that is also received as a parameter (take for example
delete() )?
4. What exactly are Properties from JPAMessage implementation and why
is order important? Are they the header fields?

This will influence my design. I read somewhere that the maximum cell
size in HBase is suggested to be around 10MB. We have two options:
1. split the message in more cells
2. store a reference to a message and the actual message directly in HDFS.

They both present chalenges, but I think the first option cen be
implemented faster.

Regards,
--
Ioan Eugen Stan