james-server-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Eric Charles <e...@apache.org>
Subject Re: deploying james sites
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2011 08:20:29 GMT
On 30/07/11 13:24, Stefano Bagnara wrote:
> 2011/7/30 Eric Charles<eric@apache.org>:
>> On 30/07/11 00:42, Stefano Bagnara wrote:
>>>
>>> I guess it's an year or more I don't deploy james websites and I found
>>> I don't know the updated way to do that.
>>>
>>> I see the svn folder james/sites/trunk/www is outdated so I guess we
>>> don't use it anymore (what about removing it?).
>>>
>>
>> It is not used for now, but the goal is to recommit updated sites there, and
>> ask Apache Infra to SvnPubSub so we don't have to svn up and wait the sync
>> for now.
>
> It's clear that we don't update that svn folder anymore. Infra doesn't
> require anymore us to have the website in svn.
>
> "mvn site-deploy" is much faster/easier than publishing to a local
> folder and committing: expecially when you have to work with
> multimodules sites (the staged site is not ok, and you have to
> manually copy each module/target/site folder over the right svn
> working copy in order to commit the stuff).
>
> So unless anyone have a better workflow I propose to remove the svn
> folder and simply use site-deploy.
>

mvn site-deploy is good to me.
Will you remove the www svn folder?

>>> How am I supposed to update the web site?
>>>
>>> I tried site:deploy for the project, but it doesn't deploy the full site
>>> "mvn -Psite-reports site" creates the reports, but overwrite the index
>>> from the previous command.
>>>
>>> What are the right steps to deploy updated site and reports?
>>
>> We talked about the reports some time ago and decided to have two separate
>> sites: the end user site and the site with reports.
>
> I can't see the whole picture: where is deployed the end user site?
> where is deployed the site with reports?
>
>> The goal was not to have the public site with some reports, even if it's
>> true that previous mime4j site had such reports.
>
> So "the goal" is to remove reports from james.apache.org for all of
> our product?? I don't like this goal.
>
> I searched the archives and I don't find too much discussion/agreement
> on something similar to this: I found some ideas, some plan, but
> nothing like "ok, let's do this way, if anyone is against this speak
> now" Have you any link for me to read?
>
> I just reintroduced the reports for jDKIM as I think xrefs, coverage,
> svn instructions and the other reports are really useful to the
> developers coming to our site (I use them too). mvn site-deploy worked
> fine for jDKIM.
>
>> I think you could copy some definitions from the site-reports profile to get
>> this reports in the public web site.
>
> I think I found my way changing the main pom for jDKIM by removing
> "inheritance" of the "generate reports variable" from the parent pom.
>

I'm also fine having the reports on the website.
How did you define it on jDKIM level ?
Do we still need the site-reports profile in [1] ?
Should we have this behaviour defined in [1] ?

[1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/project/trunk/project/pom.xml

>>> Also, I see the html generated from apt sources for mime4j don't
>>> produce anymore valid html (bad links): is this something related to
>>> newer maven site plugins? Do you know anything about this before I
>>> start digging it?
>>
>> For server, I remember I migrated the few apt to some xml (just to have a
>> uniform format).
>> I suppose the issue come from the new maven 3 site plugins.
>> No idea how to solve it. Eventually, you can migrate the apt to the xml.
>
> I found some updated docs for apt.
> Links to anchors are now {{{anchor}text}} and not {{{#anchor}text}}
> Links to relative urls are now {{{./relative}text}} and not {{{relative}text}}.
>
> The generated usage.html is good now (the sematic content was already
> up-to-date with 0.7).
>

OK

> Unfortunately mvn site-deploy for mime4j just failed because many
> files inside the mime4j folder on people.apache.org are 644 instead of
> 664 so I get permission denied.
>
> Many of them are "eric.apache" so I guess you (Eric) can fix them. (I
> use a script I created some years ago to make sure permissions in www
> for files owned by me are correct):
> ------
> #!/bin/sh
> find /www/james.apache.org ! -perm 775 -type d -user ${USER} -exec
> chmod 775 {} \;
> find /www/james.apache.org ! -perm 664 -type f -user ${USER} -exec
> chmod 664 {} \;
> find /www/james.apache.org -name \*\.cgi -type f -exec chmod 775 {} \;
> -----
>
> The same happens with main project deployment. I've been able to
> deploy some of the files by moving the "bad permissioned" files to an
> "old" folder, but I can't do this for some of the bad permissioned
> folders, like "js" and others (please remove "old" folder while you
> fix the permissions, and maybe also remove ".tmp", "tmp").
>
> Maybe we should also remove all of the .svn folders from there (as svn
> is not updated anymore): they contains files with wrong permissions
> owned by many apache devs (eric, norman, rdonking).
>


I faced same perm issue, and the workaround I applied was to copy to a 
tmp folder, going to the server, and make a local copy.

I will start another thread about site deploy.

> Stefano
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: server-dev-unsubscribe@james.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: server-dev-help@james.apache.org
>


-- 
Eric Charles
http://about.echarles.net

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: server-dev-unsubscribe@james.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: server-dev-help@james.apache.org


Mime
View raw message