james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Ioan Eugen Stan <stan.ieu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: hbase-mailbox alpha release
Date Wed, 17 Aug 2011 20:49:53 GMT
2011/8/17 Eric Charles <eric@apache.org>:
> On 17/08/11 18:39, Ioan Eugen Stan wrote:
>>
>> 2011/8/17 Eric Charles<eric@apache.org>:
>>>
>>> Sure. Optimization is for later.
>>> (just to be sure, the limitation is on the 'column family', not on the
>>> 'column')
>>
>> Yes, I am aware, thanks for reminding.
>>
>>> Just tell us if you need help to progress on the integration tests.
>>> Maybe you could have more unit tests that will help you assess the
>>> functionality is correctly implemented: e.g. save two messages, count
>>> must
>>> return 2.
>>
>> Well, today I spent a lot of time in figuring out what's wrong, and I
>> think I will get to reduce the number of columns faster then
>> anticipated, because I have to make some changes to the design (I'm
>> missing some things - like updating user flags is not done right). I
>> also have a bug in storing properties (I use ":" as a separator, and I
>> shouldn't).
>>

> don't know if it's related, but hbase uses a syntax like cf:column.

I don't think it matters, i think it's just for HBase internal
addressing. The thing is that I store namespace and name of the
property as a column name, separated by ":". and supply value as the
value of the column. I noticed from the scripts, (also in HBase
cluster.) that the property namespace is an URI and it has the colon
in it, so I will have to change the design. Probably I will store them
all like they are in JPA.

>> I could use some help in learning what happens when a certain test is
>> run. I think The easiest way is to log all methods from the Mappers,
>> and I will do that.
>> Bonus: I united all the tests to use a single MiniCluster or a full
>> cluster (provided you change the useMiniCluster to false) and supply a
>> configuration on the classpath.
>>

> That's really a good think to be able to run the tests against a real
> cluster (even if it a local or pseud-distributed).
> With that, you will be able to see what is really stored instead of relying
> on vaporous in-memory cluster.  I adding the hbase-config.xml on the
> classpath and launching a local fresh cluster does the job. To see the
> content of your cluster, I don't know helpy client, except the hbase
> console.

Yes, if the cluster is a local instance (not distribuited) you don't
need hbase-site.xml on the classpath. Just HBaseConfiguration.create()
is enough.

I will keep you posted. Tomorrow I will be a bit busy, but I hope I
will get something done.

Bye,

--
Ioan Eugen Stan