james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Ioan Eugen Stan <stan.ieu...@gmail.com>
Subject HBase message implementation
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2011 14:23:26 GMT
Hello,

I'm having some issues putting things together when it comes to
Message implementation. I will explain things right away.
The current code [1], [2], and [3] is based on JPA implementation and
it copies the message content into byte arrays.
This does not seem to scale too well.

There is also the issue of getting the info back from HBase. I agree
with Eric and Norman that large content should be split and I'm
thinking of providing a HBaseMessage implementation that should read
data from HBase as demanded (ChunkedInputStream and
ChunkedOutputStream as suggested by Norman [4] ).

Do I have to copy the data when someone creates a new HBaseMessage, or
as suggested by the streaming alternative, I can save a reference of
SharedInputStream and when I save the message to the mailbox I can
move the bytes to HBase.

The way I see things is that HBaseMessage implementation is only used
for retrieving data from HBase. It should not store the message body
(in the constructor).

Please, I need some clarification.

Thanks,

[1] http://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/mailbox-hdfs/source/browse/src/main/java/org/apache/james/mailbox/hbase/mail/model/hbase/HBaseMessage.java