james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Knecht <fel...@apache.org>
Subject Refactoring TLP pom (was Re: Mailbox doc)
Date Sun, 09 Oct 2011 14:58:32 GMT
On 10/09/2011 11:28 AM, Felix Knecht wrote:
Hi all

A)
I setup a small sample how this could look alike when splitting things
off and discard legacy things.

Have a TLP pom.xml (james-parent / james-project or ...) being a merge
of the 2 former TLP/parent poms [1][2]. New the pluginManagement section
will contain all the plugins with their version and their configuration
so far this can be applied to each module. This is specially the case
for the site generation (not only javadoc).

The skin module [3] is no longer part of the TLP pom module but has its
own module space lets name it james-skin which is less irritating than
maven-skin at first glance.

What shall happen with the existing project tree [1], which will become
obsolete? Will it be replace by the proposed TLP module (when it gets
named 'james-project') or does it just stays as it is and a new module
'parent' for TLP module is created?

B)
Another approach than splitting up in different modules is to clean up
the current parent.pom [4] so it contains more or less only the
definitions to build  the project maven-skin and the project module.
This will mean [4] will not have a <parent> definition (and all the
other stuff like <properties>, <developers>, ...) at all and the TLP pom
will be the current project.pom [5]. Definitions now in the parent.pom
[4] will be merged into the new TLP pom [5]. The new TLP pom [5] will
have as parent org.apache/apache.

When going the 2nd way B) we should IMO move the legacy server [6] tree
to somewhere else as it is no longer used.

wdyt?

Regards
Felix

PS
@Eugen
I also setup mailbox in my sandbox project [7] to see if and how it
works. I'm neither able to generate the site (mvn site) nor to genrate
the technical reports (mvn site -Psite-reports). In both situations I
get following error which is hardly a problem of the new structure using
the demo poms but resulting of the javadoc-plugin configuration somehow.
Do you haven any ideas what could be wrong?

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-javadoc-plugin:2.8:aggregate (default) on
project apache-james-mailbox: An error has occurred in JavaDocs report
generation:
[ERROR] Exit code: 1 - javadoc: error -
/home/felix/svn/apache/james/trunk/sandbox/felixk/mailbox/target/classes
doesn't exist or is not readable.
[ERROR]
[ERROR] Command line was: /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0/jre/../bin/javadoc
-J-Xmx1024m -J-Xms256m @options @packages
[ERROR]

[1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/project/trunk
[2] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/project/trunk/project