james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Knecht <fel...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Refactoring TLP pom (was Re: Mailbox doc)
Date Wed, 12 Oct 2011 12:29:06 GMT
On 10/12/2011 12:31 PM, Stefano Bagnara wrote:
> 2011/10/12 Felix Knecht<felixk@apache.org>
>> On 10/12/2011 11:36 AM, Eric Charles wrote:
>>> Thx for launching the discussion and implementing in a sandbox :)
>>>
>>> I feel your focus is the maven-skin. Right?
>>
>> Well it's not that I'm focussing on maven-skin (anyway the name might be confusing
...) but I remember when started in the James project. It was really hard to figure out the
hierarchy parent poms. Some where referencing james-project, others james-parent. Having a
quick look at the filesystem I could not find a short answer because I found it quite a mess.

> I am the author of the mess :-)
> So, I try to explain why it worked that way, but it's been a while, so
> I'm not sure I remember the details.
>
> I did loose a lot of time with try and error to reach the current
> structure and I settled to that structure because it was the only one
> that worked fine with maven, maven site, the skin and the release
> process.

I remember that time being happy finally having something working :-)

> Now, since I did that we use a new maven version (3 vs 2) and a lot of
> new "site-plugin" versions have been released and maybe they fixed the
> issues that prevented me to use a simpler layout, so feel free to
> change it.
>
> Just remember to test also the release process as it easy to have
> circular dependencies between the skin and the parent using the skin
> (unless you want duplication of configuration between parent and the
> skin you will have skin to depend on parent).

I'll setup a sample in my sandbox. So we have something real to discuss
on it and see if it works.

Regards
Felix